Thursday, December 28, 2006

Troubleshooting XP Boot Up Problems

I hope everyone's holiday week is going well. Mine has been extremely busy (which is good) since I am in online retail. My ebay store has been hopping with everyone taking advantage of my new and vintage software and hardware. I have sold a bunch of Playstation 2 keyboards (see previous article below), so those are hot this year.

Well for those of you having computer problems, this article should help. This tip is on techrepublics web site, but you have to be a member to view it so I have decided to share with my readers as it is a good one. The author has a web site that you may want to view as well located here

PC won't boot what can you do, well here is 10 things that may help

  1. Use a Windows startup disk

  2. Use Last Known Good Configuration

  3. Use System Restore

  4. Use Recovery Console

  5. Fix a corrupt Boot.ini

  6. Fix a corrupt partition boot sector

  7. Fix a corrupt master boot record

  8. Disable automatic restart

  9. Restore from a backup

  10. Perform an in-place upgrade

Ok, great, how how do you do these things?, entire PDF how to is here

For those of you that have a crashed computer at home and are able to fix it with these instructions "Who loves you, baby"

Don't forget that we have the Ultimate Boot CD available in my ebay store if you need a little more help. This CD will boot any pc you have, that is for sure!

Good luck and type at ya soon :0)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our two home machines (XP-home and XP-pro) both start a SVCHOST task that uses 100% of the CPU from startup until the task is canceled. I applied HotFix KB927891 on top of SP/2 with no effect - I also stopped MS Automatic updates - no effect.

Canceling the looping SVCHOST has no adverse effect I can see.

I ran AVG free virus scan, no problems.

Any idea where I look next?

Thank you.

Sherry said...

Hi,
Sounds as though you have a bug that has attached itself to the svchost.exe. As you know by now it is one of the most annoying as it pretty much brings your computer to a stand still, and is dangerous to your pc running it at 100%.

I would recommend restarting your computer in safe mode, by hitting the F8 key upon reboot. You should receive the safemode boot screen and choose the option of safe mode with networking.

Connect to the internet and scan your pc with one of the free online scans such as bitdefender found here http://www.bitdefender.com/
then I would download cleaner which is a wonderful free utility that cleans your pc of alot of the crap downloaded while on the internet, cleaner is available from file hippo here http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner
I would then uninstall AVG and try Avast. I have had much better luck with Avast keeping a pc safe than AVG lately. You can find Avast and all the other mentioned utilities on my web site on the resource page here http://www.computer-gal.com/resource.htm
After doing the above simply reboot normal and your problem should be solved :)
Good Luck and let me know how it goes...

Computer Gal